Writing skills: 2 years (Required)
Full Job Description
About the Company
New Leaf Data Services, LLC is a price reporting agency covering the cannabis and hemp industries. We offer wholesale pricing and market analysis for physical and financial markets, and related ancillary services.
Job Title: Market Reporter
We are hiring a Market Reporter to support our growing Cannabis BenchmarksⓇ and Hemp BenchmarksⓇ divisions. Cannabis Benchmarks and Hemp Benchmarks reporting and price assessments are viewed as essential information by market participants and are used to make informed decisions on day-to-day buy / sell decisions, future supply and revenue planning, investment considerations, and more.
The Market Reporter is expected to enhance New Leaf Data Services’ position as a thought leader in the industry by creating actionable reporting in the form of market commentaries and stories, as well as ensuring the accuracy of information contained therein and ensuring that reporting is presented in an impartial, unbiased manner.
The preferred location for this role is the Denver, Boulder, or Fort Collins areas; however, we can be open to remote / satellite locations, given the proper experience, qualifications, and practical ability to fulfill responsibilities. This is a remote position requiring frequent interfacing with team members in the Front Range.
- Research, report, develop, and write content covering market trends and dynamics in legal cannabis and industrial hemp industries in the U.S., Canada, and other international markets.
- Engage with market participants and research relevant sources to increase market knowledge, develop relationships, and expand Cannabis Benchmarks and Hemp Benchmarks reporting and wholesale price assessments.
- Develop, expand, and maintain sources / contacts relevant to the area of coverage.
- Support the efforts of the Editorial Director as needed.
- Research primary and secondary sources for information that will affect the wholesale prices or production costs of cannabis and / or industrial hemp; more specifically, monitor news stories, regulatory and legal filings, research reports, and company websites to search for newsworthy developments that explain price movements and market trends.
- Engage with market participants, regulators, and other informed parties to obtain wholesale pricing data, perspectives on current and future market conditions, and other information that would be of interest to our subscribers.
- Contribute writing to the Cannabis Benchmarks Free and Premium Weekly Reports, Hemp Benchmarks monthly Hemp Spot Price Index reports, special reports for both divisions, blog posts, and other content generated by the Editorial Department.
- Cover conference calls, hearings, webinars, and other pertinent “live” events (in a remote capacity currently due to the Covid-19 pandemic).
- Complete other assignments or projects as assigned.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s / College Degree in Journalism, Mass Communications, or analogous. Degrees in other disciplines will be considered and do not exclude a candidate from consideration. Degrees in humanities disciplines that entail intensive reading, research, and writing welcomed.
- Basic computer literacy and familiarity with general MS Office programs (particularly Microsoft Word), Google Drive / Docs; proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets a plus
- Strong writing ability and command of the English language
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to read and understand complex and lengthy legal, economic, and regulatory documents while under tight deadlines
- Ability to analyze and synthesize various types of information and develop sound, reasonable, evidence-based conclusions
- Good judgment in developing reporting that will be of highest interest and value to our subscribers and readers
- Comfortable with high levels of accountability
- Strong coordination and time management skills with the ability to work well within a team
- Experience writing and / or editing content for publication
- Background in and knowledge of basic economic theory, workings of commodity markets generally preferred but not required
- Command of U.S.-style journalistic best practice preferred but not required
- Facility in reading, writing, and speaking foreign languages (Spanish, Chinese, French, and/or German) preferred but not required
- Prior experience as a reporter on commodities, business, or other related topics preferred but not required
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $48,000.00 – $54,000.00 per year
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Fully Remote
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
- Detail-oriented — would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Autonomous/Independent — enjoys working with little direction
Company’s Facebook page:
- Cannabis Benchmarks
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Remote interview process
- Virtual meetings