The British Royal Family is reportedly fuming over at Buckingham Palace over Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s lucrative Netflix deal, fearing the streaming giant could “spill family secrets” and further expose them on a global platform.
The Daily Beast reports that the widely reported growing divide and discontent following the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s departure from the UK and their roles as senior members of the royal family has been made far worse by the megabucks Netflix deal.
The multi-year contract, rumored to be valued at more than $100 million (though some insiders think it’s actually worth far less), has escalated the “deep reservoir of anger” on both sides of the Atlantic, according to a well-placed palace source who described the collaboration as being “in bed with the enemy.”
The source told The Daily Beast that reports claiming Prince William and Kate Middleton are still upset by the initial parting of ways — as well as by the way Meghan and Harry continue to unilaterally make potentially detrimental decisions without consulting the rest of the family — are all true.
Sources tell The Daily Beast that the royal family is “very annoyed” by Harry and Meghan’s Netflix deal. “There is a feeling that their word cannot be trusted at the palace.”
Royal Family ‘Furious’ With Harry and Meghan Over Netflix Deal: ‘They Are in Bed With the Enemy.’The Daily Beast
“They [the royal family] are furious. They are in bed with the enemy,” the insider told The Daily Beast. “Netflix uses the royal family to promote entertainment that has no foundation in fact. They also had no knowledge of the deal beforehand, and they are just very annoyed by the way Harry and Meghan are not abiding by the agreement that they made just a few months ago not to do anything that would embarrass the family.”
The source added: “Once again, it was presented as a fait accompli so there is nothing further anyone can do. There is a feeling that their word cannot be trusted at the palace.”
After news of the Netflix deal broke earlier this month, it was quickly reported that Meghan and Harry’s agreement with the streaming service had riled up the rest of the intensely private royal family, particularly Prince William.
Marie Claire reported earlier this week that Wills was “livid” about the arrangement, due in part to the way his late mother Princess Diana is expected to be depicted on Netflix’s hit show “The Crown”. The upcoming fourth season will portray Lady Di’s struggles with bulimia, a portrayal the production company assures the public will be “both accurate to the disorder and sensitively handled.”
“William and other senior royals are incredibly uncomfortable about this drama and livid Harry is now in partnership with the company that’s airing it,” said an insider.
Any good royal fan knows that the royal family isn’t exactly keen on The Crown. Still, the latest season, out on November 15, is set to cover Princess Diana’s battle with bulimia.
Prince William Is Reportedly “Livid” About Harry and Meghan’s Netflix DealMarie Claire
The Daily Star reports the entire family is “uncomfortable” with the arrangement in case the couple “spills family secrets”.
It seems unlikely, given Meghan and Harry have stated that they plan to produce a wide range of “inspirational family programming” and documentaries, but it seems even that announcement isn’t enough to calm the royal family’s collective nerves.
“We are also getting some information on how the royal family actually feels about all of this,” host of the “Royally Us” podcast Christina Garabaldi said. “So we got reporting that, you know, maybe the royal family is a little bit uncomfortable about this in case they do something that would spill some royal family secrets.”
But there are reportedly concerns among the famously private royals that Harry and Meghan might use Windsor family history or their own experiences for storytelling purposes.
Royal family ‘uncomfortable’ Meghan Markle and Harry may ‘spill secrets on Netflix’The Daily Star
US Weekly reports that the high risk Netflix deal was a way for Meghan and Harry to rebuild their reputation following their shock exit from the royal family at the beginning of the year.
“It was too tempting to resist,” an insider said of the agreement, which will see the Sussexes form their own production company.
Harry and Meghan relocated to Los Angeles earlier this year with their son, Archie, and have since snapped up a $14.7 million mansion in Montecito.
At the time US Weekly confirmed the celebrity couple moved to California was “to be closer to the deal makers and are setting up calls and virtual meetings with agents, studio heads,” and were “trying to rebrand themselves” in the public eye.
The 36-year-old prince and the 39-year-old Suits alum signed a multiyear overall deal with the streaming platform earlier this month and formed their own production company that will make feature films, documentaries, scripted shows and children’s programming. According to the source, the couple see their new deal “as a way of rebuilding their reputation” following their official exit from the royal family in March.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle See Their Netflix Deal ‘As a Way of Rebuilding Their Reputation’Us-Magazine
More From Knewz.com